Monday 3 April 2017

Videos on Websites Add Interest & Drive Traffic

Video on a website is really popular. That said, have you started using it yet? If not, why not? I think a lot of people are intimidated by the thought of being on video. I get that, I was too, but there are a lot of benefits that video adds to your website.

One of the biggest benefits is that recording a video essentially helps establish trust. It provides a way for your visitors to “meet” you in person. Having the opportunity to see and hear you makes you a real person, not somebody behind the curtain.

Video is here to stay, and we all have to accept it and get in the game. The good news is that it is really simple. I will walk you through how you can record and add video to your website.

Choose a digital video camera

There are a lot of digital video cameras on the market, but this is not a review of cameras. I use the FlipAdding video to your website is easy using the flip camera, so I will talk about how I use it. Other cameras are somewhat similar. You will also need to purchase a tripod to hold the camera so that you can easily record.

Here are the steps I follow when I am going to add a video to my website. I simply set up my tripod with the camera attached. Then I turn the camera on, push the red button on the back and just talk to the camera as if I was talking to someone across the table.

I try to just be conversational, in other words, I am just being myself. Now that is not so hard, anyone should just be able to do that. You may think that is easier said than done. I suggest that you just practice a bunch of times. In the beginning I was really self concious, but the great thing is that you can always erase the video and redo it.

Once you are happy with the recording, you just plug it into the usb port on your computer and upload. A screen opens that lets you fill in the information about your video and then just upload it to YouTube.

Embed Videos
Once you have uploaded the video to YouTube, it is really easy to embed the video on your website.  While on YouTube,  you  chose “share”.  It will then give you the option to choose embed. Click on it and then an embed code appears in a box. You simply copy it.

Once back on you website, you can add it to your post. Make sure you choose the HTML tab in the upper left hand corner of the post content box. Once you have done that, you simply paste the embed code where you want to place the video in the post. That is all there is to it.

Which Digital Video Camera?

I only have experience using The Flip, so that is the one I will tell you about. I was going to make a video for you, but when I was researching the cost and features, I noticed that Amazon has some great professional videos for you to go and look at. The cost of this camera varies from $59 – about $159. The price is based on the number of hours you can record. The $59 model holds only one hour, the $159 model holds four hours. In addition, the more expensive model has lots of bells and whistles (figuratively speaking). Clicking on the picture of the Flip above this paragraph will take you to Amazon to check out the different cameras. But before you click on it to go there, read the explanation below.

To see the  videos, on the left side of the window, you will see some icons, one of them is to view videos about the item.

Videos provied on Amazon about the Flip digital Camera

This picture shows the actual Amazon page for the Flip camera. On the left side by the red arrow, you can choose to see the videos about the product.

That is a great price, I paid a lot more that that a couple of  years ago. I have the basic model and it works just fine for my needs. I do have to admit that the additional two hours on the more expensive model would be nice though

No comments:

Post a Comment