Tuesday 8 November 2016

Sometimes I Have Problems with WordPress

Checklist when you have problems with WordPress

I have told you so many times that I love using WordPress and I do. That said, there are times when it can be pretty frustrating. In the beginning, just getting a good grasp on how to actually set up a schedule for posting and keeping to it can be a challenge.



It is also updated frequently and that may change the look of the dashboard, and a lot of the tutorials were made awhile ago, so if you are a complete newbie, you may get a little confused. I will do my best to keep any of my videos updated.  So you will have to bear with me if you see a video on something I have already covered. When that happens it will be because there have been changes significant enough to cause confusion.

Yesterday I was totally frustrated with my website!

Frustrated computer userI had a coaching call a week or so ago and the coach was
reviewing my website. She was pointing out that I had
some errors, but then she clicked on the affiliate marketing
tab and discovered it was really messed up. The sidebar
was under the center column. Ouch!
So yesterday I decided to tackle the problem. I stopped in to
ask my friends at Affiliate Blogger Pro for their help. Ros
suggested that perhaps there was some html tag that had
not been closed. Ahhh

So, I took each post in the category that was messed up and looked for any tags that may not have the proper closing tag, that was tedious and painful, especially since I am not “fluent” in html. I know that is probably not the correct terminology, but learning html seems like learning another language. The worst part was that I did not find anything.

Next I removed each post to see if one of them was causing the problem. Then I went so far as to delete the entire category, create a new one and add each post back in checking to with each one to see if the problem still existed – it did. I was at my wits end.

The answer was right in front of my nose.

When all else fails, read the directions. We have all had the experience. I told you in another post about problems I had with the last WordPress update. You can read about that here. In that case, there were plugins that needed to be updated, and when I updated WordPress, the plugins caused a problem.

Well, I am a little embarrassed to tell you that the problem this time was similar. There was a new update for the Genesis theme I use and I had neglected to do the update. It was not an oversight exactly, I was planning on waiting awhile after updating WordPress in case any problems came up, I would know it was WordPress not Genesis.

Well, it was Genesis. As soon as I decided to update the theme, all the problems were resolved. It was an “I could have had a V-8 moment, if you know what I mean. The morale of this story is, keep WordPress, your theme, and your plugins updated. I would advise however that you update each separately to make sure that if there is a problem, you can identify where the cause is.

No comments:

Post a Comment